Saturday 3 January 2015

RUNNING - Baby its cold outside

Maybe the title of this blog with its Christmas song lyric title would have been better if I had have sat down and written about it when I actually thought about it a couple of weeks ago, as it happens Christmas is now just a dim and seemingly distant memory but with the job I do and the way my life is I just didn't have the time to do it.

Remember that Indian summer we had? Remember how lovely and warm October and November were?
So do I. Pounding the pavement in the relative warmth of the 10 degrees or so that it was might have seemed cold at the time but looking back it was unseasonably warm and something I should have perhaps appreciated more given that the during 6 week gap between running (I was off with a foot injury) the temperature has plummeted, dipping in to the - figures far more than someone in lycra shorts and tshirt would like.

Im fairly new to running, I started in Spring 2014,  so I haven't faced a winter as a runner. I run with a small local club and even back during the tail end of that long summer I was wearing what I thought was my winter kit: silly tights and a long sleeve tshirt, sometimes even a coat and thin gloves. Then I had my few weeks off, I came back and it is more than a little nippy to say the least.

Now, too, the floppy short and tshirt wearing runners are all covered up from head to toe in funny skin tight material, they sort of look like high vis ninjas!

Although I now feel underdressed, its not too bad once you've ran a couple of miles but the cold will always find a way in and for me its the ankles: Being 6'4" with size 12 feet the running tights don't go down all the way and the socks don't come up that far either!

And I can't wear knee high socks, I just can't.

 So, cold ankles it is then.


No comments:

Post a Comment